Wednesday, September 22, 2004

News Flash: Rock Stars Like Kerry

Rolling Stone asked a bunch of rock stars what they thought about the election, and no surprise, all of them are supporting Kerry. Some of them had interesting/funny things to say, though.

Jeff Tweedy, Wilco: "When people ask why this election is so close, I can't explain it. It's like trying to figure out how Billy Ray Cyrus sold 10 million records." I'm with you, Jeff. Both are inexplicable. How can there be FIFTY MILLION people who like Bush? It blows my mind. I know there are supposed to be two Americas and all that, but how can people make decisions so differently?

John (formerly Cougar) Mellencamp: "The polarization caused by this election is not good for anyone. I played "Pink Houses" at an Indianapolis Colts game recently, and people booed. This is in Indiana! I've never been booed there in my life." If Johnny Cougar is getting heckled in Indiana, civil war can't be far behind. It's like Sen. Douglas getting pelted with rotten apples in Virginia in 1859. Or something.

Bob Weir, Grateful Dead: "Ralph Nader is the most arrogant and narcissistic guy I've ever met. I had a meeting with him in the early Nineties. I was jazzed going into the meeting, and I was disgusted leaving. I don't think I've ever met a bigger asshole. If he hadn't run in the last election, we wouldn't be in Iraq and thousands of people wouldn't have died needlessly. And still he's well pleased to go in and be the spoiler again!" Nader is a puzzle. He's not getting the press this time, but he's still out there, and he still could leach off 2% of the vote in a bunch of states. I tend to agree with most things I've heard him say in the past couple of years, and I don't think what he says is that far out into outer space, but I think all rational people need to understand that it's time to unite behind a single non-evil candidate.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home