Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Front Yard

I can sit in my front yard (shirt on this time), and I'm fifty yards fromt he ocean. The tide is out right now, so the spring-fed lagoon we swim in, protected by a grass-covered rock outcropping, is cold, less brackish than usual, and low. My gauge of the tide is a rock pile most of the way out to our little natural breakwater. At the highest tides, the tip of the pile is just covered by water. Right now, I can see a good two or three feet of the pile. Out beyond the rock pile is an arm of land, all sharp lava rock, that connects to the shore a few houses to my right. Out at the end of the spit today are a half-dozen fishermen, casting into the warm open water. If I stare long enough I might even see fish jumping, though maybe that's just the blue water sparkling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home