Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Tunes

I'm listening to music for the first time since I got here. Phishcast streaming over the web, 7/1/99 Antioch, TN. Pretty hot stuff. My laptop died, stranding all my illegal but sweet MP3s.

I'm very excited about the concert weekend I have coming up when I get back to the US, as well. I recommend both acts to all Readers out there.

  • Dan Bern, Martyrs', Chicago, 10/3. Dan is a new Dylan, my personal favorite new Dylan. He has songs that talk about eating nothing but olives, his big balls, how we should all flame out like Jimmy Dean, and somehow manages to be poignant with all of them. Nice, weepy, moving, irreverant, folky fun.

  • The Polyphonic Spree, The Empty Bottle, Chicago, 10/4. I'm a bit worried about this show. The Spree have been in a VW ad; the whole world has been exposed to their freaky cult-like ways, and should be mobbing the Ukrainian Village's trendiest nerd-glasses night spot. I'm still excited. A nine-member singing and dancing chorus, a harp, a theremin, 3 keyboardists, several drummers and guitarists, amazing levels of exuberance, and of course, all the Kool-Aid you can stomach.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home